I have not been able to participate in this or any other meme for a while as I was preparing to return to where I used to live for this month. Since we had a 2 day car trip ahead of us I was trying to convert some cds into mp3s. What a pain in the neck it turned out to be. I have done this before but it had been a while and things have certainly changed...not for the better.
1) I started out with Media Monkey which I love and have used before. Now it can only be used for podcasts, not ripping cds that one has paid for and owns, due to licensing issues. I am not going to pay for the privilege of mp3 conversion, thank you very much.
2) Winamp- I have this and it is great to play cds on the computer but I have no idea how to rip a cd to mp3 using them.
3) Real Player will convert cd into any other format but mp3, unless you buy the paid version. Again see number 1.
4) Why do I have all these different players? Because different sites use different ones to show media and for Blessing's school, I need them all.
5) Windows Media Player. This does convert cds to mp3s, but they changed the menu system so now it is not intuitive as to how to convert. When you open the player it goes to the library. In order to get to the rip button one has to go to the lower right hand corner in library and click on the part that has little squares in the shape of a big one. That takes you to the now playing screen and there is the button on the upper right hand to click to start ripping. In order to see the progress of the rip and to make playlists (which is the best way to see your collection and play it from your computer), you have to go back to the library. Once that cd is done, you eject it, insert another and then switch back to the now playing screen. Before you could rip directly from the library screen. Not sure why they felt compelled to create these extra steps when it worked fine before.
Linking up with: